21.9.14

"Ask in Faith, Nothing Wavering"

Two weeks after not giving the talk on tithing, I was once again given the opportunity to speak in Sacrament Meeting! This time the topic was faith.
 
 

In the Epistle of James, chapter one, we read the verse that inspired young Joseph Smith before he knelt before God with a question in his heart: “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God . . . and it shall be given him.” Then following that verse we are counseled to “[A]sk in faith, nothing wavering.” Though I can name numerous examples of men and women who have exercised unwavering faith, I have not yet come to the point where I can sincerely ask the Lord for knowledge or guidance without first doubting my worthiness and my abilities. Simply asking is the easy part; but to ask with unwavering faith? How can we truly go before the Lord with unshakeable, unwavering faith, especially in today’s society?
Elder Neal A. Maxwell once answered that question when he told members of the Church of four essential steps when it comes to exercising and nourishing our faith: service & sacrifice, study, prayer, and personal righteousness. Brother James O. Mason expounded on those principles in the April 2001 Ensign. “We gain faith like any other attribute. The Prophet Joseph Smith instructed, ‘Faith comes by hearing the word of God, through the testimony of the servants of God.’ Thus, we see the importance of attending Church, studying the scriptures, viewing or listening to general conference where possible, and reading the reports of general conference.”

It is crucial that we continue to read and learn from the words of ancient and modern-day prophets, if we want to be sufficiently prepared to return to the Kingdom of God. I have recognized numerous times how poorly I feel when I forget to make time to truly feast on the words of Christ and implement them into my life. Alternatively, I notice increased light and power in each day when I focus my life around the teachings of our prophets and apostles. Though I admit that there are times when I do not remember to put the Lord first, when I find myself in pain, confused, or just stressed, the Lord has never failed me when I sought out His counsel and peace through reading my scriptures or even listening to a Conference talk. If we expect the Lord to bless us, we much first do what He has asked of us and increase our faith through His word.
            Brother Mason continued, “The Apostle Paul counseled that through our prayers we “might perfect that which is lacking in [our] faith."

Prayer is not only a source of peace when things are difficult for us. Regular communication with our Heavenly Father brings us close to Him, as we are His children and He is indeed our Father. This is an area that I have much room to improve in, but I can say that every time I go to speak to my Father, I can feel even the tiniest bit of love that He has for me. He delights in hearing us tell Him about our day, about the little joys that we find, about our love for those around us, and about the new things that we are learning. And, when we are upset or afraid, He is there to comfort us with His Spirit as we ask for His help. He is never too busy for us, even when we might thing we are too busy for Him. He is there, ready and waiting to bless us with the desires of our hearts.

            The Prophet Joseph Smith taught, as Brother Mason wrote in his article, “Let us here observe, that a religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation; for, from the first existence of man, the faith necessary unto the enjoyment of life and salvation never could be obtained without the sacrifice of all earthly things.” Thinking about sacrificing everything you have may sound daunting, but when we acknowledge Who gives us our possessions, how can we not be willing to give Him anything that He asks of us, knowing that in return, we will be blessed. Multiple times in my life, I have been brought to realize that nothing matters as much as my family, my faith, and my God. Nothing. Of course, I enjoy my cute clothes, fancy gadgets, and pretty dishes just as much as the next person, but if I had to give all of it up, I know that I would still have those things that are most important to me. James Mason went on to say that we must be willing to pass the same tests of faith and devotion as did Abraham. Yes, that does sound extremely daunting, and I’m sure that if it ever came to me offering as much as Abraham did, I would tremble in fear and plead to the Lord to spare me. But I have faith that even if someone I loved very much was taken from me, I would one day be reunited with them, so far as I had kept the covenants that I made with my Heavenly Father. I do know that when we sacrifice what we hold dear, the Lord does bless us with even greater things, in His timing. I have seen it, time and time again. To use one of my favorite metaphors: as a husband and wife anticipate the arrival of a child, there are things that they may need to give up (time, energy, money, and space). The mother gives her body to that child – she sacrifices her very self for her baby's life – and all of that can be immensely painful and seemingly inconvenient. Yet, after the months of growth and the hours of labor are over, that man and woman have a beautiful son or daughter. Why did they give up those things that they valued before? Because they love their child; they want what is best for their baby. We have been given the ultimate example of sacrifice, Christ giving His life for all of Heavenly Father’s children. If He was willing to do that for us, and if we are seeking to be as He is, I know that each of us can offer the sacrifices that we are asked to make, for we will be blessed.

Along with that, giving time and energy to help someone else can be an immense blessing to us and to them. Many times I have received peace in trying times by focusing on and helping others around me who were struggling as well. As scripture tells us, “He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.” It is truly amazing how that principle works.

            Lastly, Brother Mason said, “The Savior taught, ‘If any man will do [God’s] will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.’ Sin is the greatest of all faith destroyers. Pride, anger, selfishness, greed, or any other form of disobedience diminishes faith, while righteousness leads to greater faith.” That one is pretty self-explanatory, but I know that it is just as true as the previous principles that were addressed. Sometimes it is a sacrifice to discontinue a bad habit, and it may seem inconvenient to forgive someone who has offended you once and may just go on doing so, but as we seek to better ourselves, the Lord will recognize our efforts and reward us for them. 
Though striving to do each of these things may not bring perfect faith, we have an advantage even in the most difficult times; we have a Father in Heaven and a Savior whose grace can make up for what we lack. I have recognized that grace over and over in my life, even as I have felt unworthy and doubtful.

While famine and drought were covering the land where he was dwelling, Elijah the prophet was told by the Lord to go to Zarephath, where he would find a widow to feed him. As he entered the city, he found the woman gathering sticks, which she intended to use to build a fire to cook one last meal for her and her son, as their barrel of meal and cruse of oil were nearly empty. Elijah came to her and asked, “Fetch me, I pray thee, a little water in a vessel, that I may drink.” The widow admitted that she had no food to give him, but Elijah gave her a promise as he said, “Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son. For thus saith the Lord God of Israel, the barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the Lord sendeth rain upon the earth.” This great woman exercised her last reserves of faith and gave Elijah what was left of her food. Because of her immense sacrifice, her barrel and cruse were replenished, and as the scripture witnesses, “she, and he, and her house, did eat many days.”

Our diligence and faith do not go unnoticed by our God. He stands by us, ready to lift us up when we fall, delighted to bless us when we are in need. And why does He do those things? Because He loves us. His love is so great, and so powerful. I have felt it in my life over and over and over again. I bear you my testimony of the truth of these principles, and of that immense love that our Father has for us. I say these things in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments :

My posts are intended to uplift others. Please respect the spirit of this blog and leave comments that will only encourage feelings of kindness. Thank you!