I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
In that Church, we have a Prophet who is called of God, who holds all of the keys of the Priesthood of God, as well as his two Counselors and a Quorum of Twelve Apostles of the Lord who also hold Priestood Keys. Then we have men who have been ordained to hold the Melchizedek Priesthood, and young men who have been ordained to hold the Aaronic Priesthood.
We believe that God reveals His truths to His Prophets, Seers, and Revelators today, and that it is through our Prophet that He speaks to His children.
In our Church we have an organization for men, an organization for women, an organization for young men & young women, and an organization for children. Each man, woman, and child has a role or calling in each organization, whether they be large or small. Men are called to offices in either Priesthoods and to leadership positions in wards, stakes, and regions, etc.; women are called to teach other women, and to nurture each individual, ward, & stake family, as well as the Church as a whole; men and women are called to teach the young men, young women, & children the principles of the Gospel; young men and women teach each other and preside over their distinct classes; and children are called on to share scriptures and thoughts with other children. Every member of the Church has a specific mission inside of the Church, and by exercising our callings we love and strengthen each other.
As a woman in the Church, I have been called to strengthen my husband and to support him in his callings and Priesthood; to bear and rear up children in righteousness, along with my husband; and to use my faith to nurture and uplift my family and the Saints. Compared to what my husband does, it doesn't seem like much at times, but I am coming to see more and more that what I am being asked to do is just as important as what Patrick does in blessing sick and distraught men, women, & children; participating in the ordinations of other young men; baptizing, and so forth. All of those things take faith on his part, and a certain worthiness. Being a wife, and mother-in-training, takes a lot of faith on my part too. I am called to rely on my husband and support him, and in a beautiful, special way, he is also meant to rely on and support me as his wife. It is incredible how The Lord has designed families and marital unions. God's Power of leadership and order comes into my home - our home - through Patrick, and His Power of Life comes by Patrick through me. We both contribute different powers to our marriage; we are both capable of exercising the healing power of faith, and of providing for and nurturing our children. It is a divinely perfect balance.
Because of this balance, I am content with being a woman in The Lord's true Church, by His current standards. I am content with serving God in the way that He wants me to at this time. I feel no need to address any issue of so-called inequality in our society, and I am grateful to be the one who follows after my Husband as we both follow God. I am happy in submitting myself to Patrick and to our children (in the future). I know that God loves me just as much as He loves my Priesthood-holding husband, and independent of my husband. If I was a single young woman like I was a year ago, The Lord would still love me, and He would not love me any less in the slightest. Right now, that is all I need in order to feel a part of His Kingdom. And when The Lord reveals what is next for me and for my family, I plan to willingly submit and move forward just as He would have me, and not before.
I have found that if I run too fast, I either trip over myself or I am forced to stop abruptly by some object that I was blinded to. I believe that walking along The Lord's path in trust and knowledge is what is best for me. I should seek to learn everything good and honorable that I can, but if I find myself tripping over little (or big) obstacles, I should turn to Him in faith and allow Him to continue to guide me around them.
Maybe one day I will understand exactly why He is asking me to do what He is right now, but for the time being I am perfectly content with trusting Him, and leaving the questions that are too big for me to understand up to Him to answer at the appropriate moment.
I am content with living in faith, even with unanswered questions and desires that seem to have been put on a shelf. I trust what God is doing with my life, as a wife and future mother, as a primary teacher and member of the Relief Society, and as His daughter. I am happy to be a woman of God.




So well said! I wish more people understood that just because our roles are different does not make us less important! I am sorry some women in the church have been made to feel that way, but I never have. :) I also like that you said you don't have to know everything RIGHT NOW. Sometimes you just have to let some things be.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your reply to my comment on your husband's blog! I wasn't going to go back and read people's responses because I expected them to just be hateful and rude, but I changed my mind today. I'm glad I did; I was pleasantly surprised!
ReplyDeleteI love this post! I'm glad you found the courage to finish it. Something you said that really stood out to me was "God's Power of leadership and order comes into my home - our home - through Patrick, and His Power of Life comes by Patrick through me." That's so beautiful! Though the two roles are very different, they are most definitely equal in importance. God's kingdom would fall if either was left unfilled!
I can think of no greater or more honorable calling than bringing God's children into this life and guiding them through it. It's true that women can't bring children into the world without men, and both father and mother are important in raising them, but the role women fill is special. It's so important that God asks us to put more of our focus on it than any of the other roles we may fill in His kingdom. It would be much more difficult if we had priesthood duties, as well! I am honored to be a woman, and to have been called by God to play such an important and special part in my future children's lives.
I am so happy to know that I am not alone in my "old fashioned" opinions! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Lauri, it means a lot that you would come back and comment on my post. That is so sweet of you! I greatly appreciate everything that you said, and I am so glad that we are are not alone in our, like you said, "old fashioned" views. I'm grateful for women like you, even though I don't know you, and your integrity and courage. Keep up your great work and faith!
DeleteLove and blessings,
Shaylee Ann
Wonderful, wonderful thoughts, Shaylee Ann! I too am of the "old-fashioned" variety, even live the "old-fashioned" lifestyle of farming - where I go and help on the farm when the help is needed and where my husband helps in the home when it is needed. What's funny is we don't even see it that way - divided - until someone visiting points it out. To us we are just helping one another to build our family. I sometimes think if more people still lived that way of life there wouldn't be so much division because more women would recognize the important roles they have. I am not explaining myself well (it's late here!) I just know when we are each doing our part and not coveting the other's role we are perfectly balanced.
ReplyDelete