. . . And when the sun rose again, there was hope. . . .
Elise linked to a talk given by Elder Robert D. Hales, in the October General Conference of last year on her blog yesterday.
I have read it before, and of course I heard him give it in Conference, but it didn't touch me then in the way that it did when I read it just barely. How grateful I am for the words of modern day Prophets of God. The Lord truly loves us. Life gets rough, and it is not easy, but the Lord is there. He's waiting with outstretched arms.
Alma 12:34, 37. I read those scriptures this morning, before reading this talk. A soft heart equals the rest of the Lord. Think about that. How simple! Yet, not easy. It takes discipline, strength, and true faith. But imagine the peace and joy we find in the rest of God. Soft hearts are a small price to pay when that is the reward.
Back to the talk. Here are some of my favorite quotes:
Tests and trials are given to all of us. These mortal challenges allow us and our Heavenly Father to see whether we will exercise our agency to follow His Son. He already knows, and we have the opportunity to learn, that no matter how difficult our circumstances, "all these things shall [be for our] experiences, and . . . [our] good."
Does this mean we will always understand our challenges? Won't all of us, sometime, have reason to ask, "O God, where are [T]hou?" Yes! . . . Yes, "weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning." Then, in the dawn of our increased faith and understanding, we arise and choose to wait upon the Lord, saying, "Thy will be done."
What, then, does it mean to wait upon the Lord? In the scriptures, the word wait means to hope, to anticipate, and to trust. To hope and trust in the Lord requires faith, patience, humility, meekness, long-suffering, keeping the commandments, and enduring to the end.
To wait upon the Lord means planting the seed of faith and nourishing it "with great diligence, and . . . patience."
It means praying as the Savior did - to God, our Heavenly Father - saying: "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done." It is a prayer we offer with our whole souls in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ.
Waiting upon the Lord means pondering in our hearts and "receiv[ing] the Holy Ghost" so that we can know "all things what [we] should do."
As we follow the promptings of the Spirit, we discover that "tribulation worketh patience" and we learn to "continue in patience until [we] are perfected."
Waiting upon the Lord means to "stand fast" and "press forward" in faith, "having a perfect brightness of hope."
It means "relying alone upon the merits of Christ" and "with [His] grace assisting [us, saying]: Thy will be done, O Lord, and not ours."
As we wait upon the Lord, we are "immovable in keeping the commandments," knowing that we will "one day rest from all [our] afflictions."
Waiting upon the Lord gives us a priceless opportunity to discover that there are many who wait upon us. Our children wait upon us to show patience, love and understanding toward them. Our parents wait upon us to show gratitude and compassion. Our brothers and sisters wait upon us to be tolerant, merciful, and forgiving. Our spouses wait upon us to love them as the Savior has loved each one of us.
He knows your sacrifices and your sorrows. He hears your prayers. His peace and rest will be yours as you continue to wait upon Him in faith.
Every one of us is more beloved to the Lord than we can possibly understand or imagine. Let us therefore be kinder to one another and kinder toward ourselves. Let us remember that as we wait upon the Lord, we are becoming "saint[s] through His atonement, . . . submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon [us], even as a child doth submit to his father."
"They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
Guess what, there is hope, and the Lord, in His great mercy, will deliver us from whatever it is we need delivering from. He does love us. I testify of that, even in my personal time of difficulty. And I say that in His name, Amen.
:)
What a powerful word! Thanks for sharing; it was just what I needed to hear. Stopping over via the blog hop! So nice to meet you! I'm a new follower.
ReplyDeleteLindsey
outofalabaster.blogspot.com
Thank you for following me! Following you now, too! I love your blog! :) :)
DeleteSo glad I found your blog on the blog hop. I'm a new follower on GFC. I would love it you stopped by and followed back so we can stay connected. Don't forget to get the new Linky tool since GFC is going away. Lori http://www.bleak2unique.com/
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment, and for following me! :) I'm following your site via GFC - the Linky follow wasn't working for me - love it! :)
DeleteHi Shaylee Ann!!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for linking up to the blog hop! Wishing you all the best in your bloggy endeavors. Newest follower :)
Kelly
www.livelaughrowe.com
Awww, thanks! :)
ReplyDeleteWe talked a little about waiting upon the Lord in Relief Society this week, and it brought to mind my favorite of the psalms: Psalm 27.
ReplyDelete"For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock. And how shall my head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the Lord. Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me. When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living." (verses 5-8 and 13)
It made me think. There are so many things I'm waiting for, some big and some small, and all too often it just feels like my life is on hold. But if I'm really waiting on the Lord, the way I should be, the waiting becomes a preparation for the future instead of something that's holding me back. And preparation is good. Really good. Because no matter how much I'd like to be, I'm not really ready for a lot of these things. Preparation is awesome.
Preparation, patience, obedience - it is all for our good.
DeleteThank you for your comment, Ashley. :)