24.7.15

Life Lessons

{ via }

Working in Customer Service has taught me a lot of things in just a short amount of time, and some of those things are even kind of helpful life lessons. They probably apply to any job, but CS is where I started learning them.



1. You can't please everyone.

You just can't. One person may be disgusted about something that another person is satisfied by, and then another may be completely indifferent. Don't go out of your way to make every single person you know as happy as you think you can make them, because if they choose to disregard your efforts, you just wasted a whole lot of time on nothing. Please when you know you can, and only focus on pleasing those who really, truly matter.
Like, if someone threatens to leave you a negative review because you couldn't change the password to their bank account, put on your happiest face and use you sweetest tone of voice to kindly explain to them that you literally have no control over that but would be happy to assist them with ANYTHING else, because you don't want them to give you company a bad rap over something that you can't legally help with.
BUT, if someone threatens to come to your office from ten states a way and throw a bomb through your window, ignore them and move on. You can't make them happy even if you die trying.
After two months in this department, I'm pretty convinced that as long as my husband is happy, I'm doing pretty well.


2. You can never return to your pre-CS life.

After working the phones you will automatically judge every call you ever get ever again, even if you recognize their number on your caller ID. You will shudder at the thought of conversing with anyone over 80. I'm serious. Even if they are your relatives. It's just a natural response to cringe at the idea of any kind of conversation with our dear elderly when those are the only people you talk to all day, every day.


3. You may have had a clean mouth before your job in CS, but you will not have very refined speech by the end.

I hate to admit it, but I'm already slipping, and it's not because of the calls I get where all people do is curse at me. Well, it might be, partly.

4. Every time you hear a phone ring you will immediately think, "Thank you for calling ____________; this is _______, how may I help you?"

I feel your pain. :(


5. You will be determined to NEVER be THAT customer.

I count my blessings daily that my parents raised me with the knowledge that kicking & screaming & swearing & lying WON'T get me what I want.


6. There will always be that one person who is convinced that they know how to do your job better than you do.

That person will probably be a completely dissatisfied customer who is outside of their warranty and has nothing better to do than call up and yell at you about how you don't know how to talk on the phone to customers. Pay her no mind and be sure to be extra sweet to the people who don't actually try to chew your head off every time you open your mouth.


7. Whatever semblance of patience that you used to have will either be multiplied or squashed flat.

I'm becoming that person who can't stand to be held up in the pick-up-order line at a food joint, even if I only have to wait for three minutes. What is happening to me....


8. Your face will soon be stuck in a permanent scowl and you will only ever be cynical when you speak, or type.

If you chance to see me on a Monday-Friday, I apologize in advance.


9. If you could kiss free time with no requirements of interacting with other humans (except the ones you love), you would.

My weekday evenings are even sweeter than my weekends, because they mean that I can be at home with Patrick and we can each do our own thing and we don't have to talk to anyone else for any reason if we don't want to, unless we plan a night out or have the Elders Quorum presidency over.


10. Even with all of the frustrations, it may still be your favorite job ever.

Maybe.

C'est la vie. ;)



e m a i l | f a c e b o o k | i n s t a g r a m | p i n t e r e s t | t w i t t e r

No comments :

My posts are intended to uplift others. Please respect the spirit of this blog and leave comments that will only encourage feelings of kindness. Thank you!