2.11.14

#LDSconf


General Conference was a month ago, and remarkably, I am still pondering on the things that I learned and felt during that weekend.

This Conference, my favorite talks were (surprisingly) not by members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles; usually Elder Holland's talks are the ones that I benefit from the most. 



From the Saturday afternoon Session, the talk on Approaching the Throne of God with Confidence spoke to me strongly. Elder Klebingat taught the importance of finding personal peace and spiritual confidence in every day if we are going to be strong and true disciples of Jesus Christ.

Beginning his talk, he asked, "On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your spiritual confidence before God?" I repeated that question in my mind and asked myself what my answer would be. I won't share that number her, but I will share some notes that I made regarding my answer.

I can work harder in many areas in my life and am striving to do so. I tend to allow distractions to get in the way of the more important things, sometimes I think or speak judgements that are unfair and rude. I don't always have successful study every day, and my prayers could have more meaning; even still I love my Savior and I want to live with my Heavenly Parents and eternal family one day. I know that the Lord is pleased with my life and the path that I am on, though there is always room for improvement.

I have never doubted that the Lord loves me and desires for me to be happy, but there have been many occasions where I seriously considered myself unworthy of that love. I must be confident in my faith in God and in myself. Satan would love for me to show self-doubt and to not rely on the gift of Christ's Atonement, even when I haven't committed any serious sins. I should never believe the lie that I am not worthy of the love that my God has for me. He will always be by my side waiting for me to turn to Him. He desires my ultimate happiness - that is why He sacrificed His very life. I will have faith in that, and in my ability to repent, forgive, and find healing & peace.

My favorite part of Elder Klebingat's talk was the six suggestions that he gave that will assuredly help "dissipate [the] evil voices [of the adversary] and to restore to [us] the kind of peaceful assurance and spiritual confidence that is [ours] to have if [we] only want it". 

  1. Take Responsibility for Your Own Spiritual Well-being
  2. Take Responsibility for Your Own Physical Well-being
  3. Embrace Voluntary, Wholehearted Obedience as Part of Your Life
  4. Become Really, Really Good at Repenting Thoroughly and Quickly
  5. Become Really, Really Good at Forgiving
  6. Accept Trials, Setbacks, and "Surprises" as Part of Your Mortal Experience
I could expound on each of those, but I'll let you do that for yourself today. Suffice it to say that Elder Klebingat's talk changed something in me, and since Conference, I have been working "really, really" hard at improving in all six of those areas. I cannot say that I have complete confidence in my spiritual strength, but as my testimony grows and as I continue to exercise faith and obedience, the Lord can and will make up for what I am lacking, and He will for each of us in our needs and humility.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

My second-favorite talk was "The Lord Has a Plan for Us!" by Elder Godoy. The question his friend asked him hit me hard: "[I]f you continue to live as you are living, will the blessings promised in your patriarchal blessing be fulfilled?" After listening to this talk, I took some time to make personal plans for my future that revolve around the promises that were given to me in my patriarchal blessing. In the past month, I have made a lot of headway. I have made and met goals and will continue to, as I frequently return to my Blessing and to the Lord to be sure that I am on the right track. My husband has been so supportive and I have gained patience and strength while focusing on the things that mean the most to me and to our family.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Along with those two talks, I have a couple of favorite one-liners that have touched me deeply. Ponder on them, and find peace, strength, and inspiration from them as I have.

"Rich or poor, we are to 'do what we can' when others are in need." 

Many of us may not have "a lot" in the way of earthly possessions, but others have even less, and it is our duty to help them where we are able. It can be as simple as giving a hug to a struggling mother, taking dinner to a sick neighbor, or recognizing a need in a home and fulfilling it. As I have been blessed so greatly in my life by the generosity of others, I seek to give back by sharing with those in need around me.

"[T]he mothers of today have no greater opportunity and no more serious challenge than to do all they can to strengthen the [home]."

 Sometimes I feel underwhelmed by the lack of responsibility that I have. We don't have children of our own yet, and my daily routine is minimal compared to the mothers around me. I cook for my husband, keep our house tidy, and continue to educate myself. At the end of a day I wonder if that is enough. However, I am reminded that though I am not caring for my own children, I am strengthening our home by playing with my neighbor's little boy while she is doing laundry or dishes, by taking the time to build up our food storage, and by simply being here to support my husband and help him as we both prepare to bring our children into our home. My goal is to build up the Kingdom of God in my home first and in the world around me second. I believe that I am slowly but surely meeting that goal, even though I don't always realize it.

I testify that the men and women leading the Lord's church are His servants and that their words come from Him. They love us as He does, and heeding their guidance is crucial and beneficial to our spiritual well-being.


e m a i l | f a c e b o o k | i n s t a g r a m | p i n t e r e s t | t w i t t e r

No comments :

My posts are intended to uplift others. Please respect the spirit of this blog and leave comments that will only encourage feelings of kindness. Thank you!