Courtship: Dating with a Purpose
{ Read Part One Here }
This will be a rather interesting post, as I have not had a single bit of experience with courting. Hopefully those who read this get something out of it, because I am really not sure that I know what I am saying.
I have not been on a date for three weeks now, and the lack of thrill, excitement, and pure intrigue has been refreshing. My life has been filled with joy and contentment, and understanding.
Still, there is something missing. Something important, something special.
Temptation after temptation comes
just have fun
enjoy being young
other girls have boyfriends - do what they do
lower your expectations
accept what you can get
I won't give in.
I want a husband.
Not a boyfriend.
Not a roommate.
Not a flirt partner.
A companion. An equal.
(and the corny phrase that nearly ever young woman expresses at some point - usually with a dramatic and devoted air)
A Father for my children.
Maybe I am making sweeping judgments, but it seems to me that a lot - if not most - of the young men that I have known or seen, who are eligible for marriage, have no intention of being a husband. Maybe they like the idea of how non-committal a boyfriend and girlfriend relationship is? It does not make sense to me, regardless.
This is why I will no longer go out with a young man unless he has an intention, and his intention is clear.
I am not sure that I have Rachel's admirable pluck - requesting for the Intended to answer questions on paper, questions that I would have to spend a lengthy amount of time racking my brain to invent, may not be my thing.
But knowing, expecting an answer to the question,
"Why did you ask me out?"
Continually living my single life with no knowledge of purpose to potential dates -
it won't work for me.
Maybe my expectations are not realistic;
but I firmly believe that if I put my faith
in true principles,
going my own way, rather than the way of the world,
the Lord will bless me with success.
[ Part Three will ensue once I have had some experience. ]
You know I support you in this venture! I know it can seem really hard and tempting to do things the way almost everyone else does, but to me, it was so worth it to be able to avoid all the guessing games and the drama and heartbreak that often come with dating. Once I was with Angel, I was sure of him and I always have been, and I'm so grateful!
ReplyDeleteThank you, so much, Rachel! I have you to thank for this - and the Lord, of course. :)
DeleteI love the word courting and got teased for using it the other day. I was like well, I don't care, because I don't want anything else haha. Luckily I'm one to be pretty blunt and can basically ask a guy what he thinks and wants and high tail it out of there if necessary. But oh well, one day we'll both be married to the men of our dreams :)
ReplyDeleteWay to stick to your standards, Brooklyn!
DeleteYes, and we will be all the happier for that settling for less. :)
I was really touched by your post. My husband and I have been happily married for 12 years, and try to support the "young" people around us to keep their standards high when dating/courting. DON"T comprimise. Being married and raising a family is hard enough the way it is. It's harder if you are not equally yolked. If your future spouse loves the LORD, loves and respects you, then you will be miles ahead of most people who are trying to "create" a love without substance. Best wishes! ~ Susan www.solesearchingmamma.com
ReplyDeleteSusan, thank you so much. I was deeply touched by your comment, and I so appreciate it. You are very right. Thank you. :)
DeleteInspirational!! I really hope this can catch on and spread. Things are getting SO scary in the world when it comes to relationships. Kids have boy/girlfriends? Adolescents getting pregnant?? It's awful!! More care should be taken. Wish I had done this!! But my match was there all along :)
ReplyDeleteI hope it does too. Thanks, April! :)
DeleteHi, new follower here, I loved this post! Way to be strong in standing for your beliefs. Knowing, and saying what you want makes it important so others can know your thoughts and feelings as well. It is worth it to wait for what you deserve.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to your posts!
P.S. I love your picture!
Michelle@
http://sunshineandasummerbreeze.blogspot.com
Thank you for your comment, Michelle! I appreciate your kindness. :)
DeleteI am not able to access your site right now, but I look forward to perusing it as soon as I am able to! :)