7.10.12

{ Since It's } Sunday (eight)

Good morning, Lovelies! 

I hope those of you who have been watching General Conference are being uplifted and edified. I invite you to watch tomorrow's two sessions as well.

I am sure that most of you have heard by now that the new minimum age for missionaries has been lowered - 18 for young men, 19 for young women. I am thrilled for all of my friends who had been counting down the months until their twenty-first and nineteenth birthdays. My brother is planning to leave early next year, and I am so very pleased!

Conference has been beautiful thus far, though I admit that, after President Monson's announcement, I had a difficult time really focusing, as the implications hit me like bricks. I need manage to listen to most of the talks though. 
 From Elder Perry, I was grateful to hear these words: "Parents must resolve that teaching in the home is the most sacred responsibility." (Forgive me if I quoted that incorrectly.) Elder Ballard's thoughts on service were very inspiring as well. "Service is the very definition of pure religion (emphasis added)."
I heard the Proclamation to the World quoted quite often as well - I love it.


Think that Christ has Promised You His Wealth Untold

On Thursdays, I meet with other young men and women, ages eighteen to thirty, and listen to a teacher give a lesson on specific Gospel Principles. This semester, we are we are studying from the book of Moses, in the Pearl of Great Price (part of the Standard Works of the LDS people). We read scriptures and modern-day quotes, watch videos relating to the subject, and discuss personal experiences. What I have just described is Institute. (It occurred to me to had not explained that before.)

It seems that many of my Sunday posts are derived from thoughts that I have at Institute. I guess that my thoughts flow best there, at and the Temple, so that's where most of my inspiration comes from. 

This past week, we read a wonderful talk by Elder David S. Baxter, of the Seventy, and watched a new Mormon Message called "The Will of God". I will share with you just a few of my thoughts regarding the first of those today, and I invite you to watch the video and to ponder upon your own pruning and growth as you fulfill the will of God.


In Elder Baxter's talk, Overcoming Feelings of Inadequacy, he talks about false comparison, Satan's temptation of depression, and ways that we can overcome self-degradation. I was filled with emotion as I read this with two of my friends.

"We 'look at others with their lands and gold' and forget that 'Christ has promised [us] His wealth untold.'"

Guilty. Especially when I have struggled the most, I have allowed myself to wonder, erroneously, Why am I not receiving blessings? I am trying my hardest to keep the Commandments - I am obeying Him. [So and so] is making more mistakes than me, and they seem to have everything that they want! I have seen the Lord's hand in my life for as long as I can remember, and farther back than my memory goes even. I know that He has blessed me, even and especially during my trials. For the first time in my life though, I can really see and understand the miracles that are being performed for my sake. So many that I cannot count. Big things, little things. The Lord has given me what He knows that I need and desire, and continues to, according to His will. I should not be concerned with the blessings that He gives to others. To each His own. We are all different. We have different desires, we make different mistakes, and live in different situations. The Lord knows us, better than we know ourselves . . . and certainly better than we know each other. 

Elder Baxter goes on to quote President Ezra Taft Benson, as he states, "'As the showdown between good and evil approaches with its accompanying trials and tribulations, Satan is increasingly striving to overcome the Saints with despair, discouragement, despondency, and depression.' The adversary knows that if he can prevent us from recognizing our divine potential, he will have scored a major victory."

Reading this strengthened my testimony of the importance of living a righteous life. Satan does know my potential, and that is blinking terrifying when I think of all that he is capable of, but I am not going to give-in to his temptations and quit trying, just because it is hard, and it hurts. Remember that you have greater power of the devil. Remember that it is worth it to fight through the darkness, for it brings you ever closer to your Redeemer and your exaltation. Never, never let Satan think that he is winning. You have divine potential. You may not feel bright as of right now; you may feel discouraged; you may be doing everything in your power to stay on the Path of Righteousness, but feel like you are still falling short. No matter how dim you think your light may be, shine! Blind the adversary with the Light of Christ that emanates from you.

Last of all, my favorite part of Elder Baxter's remarks:
"The experience of Ammon and his missionary brethren is illustrative. While engaged in their missionary labors, they experienced discouragement and despondency; yet they were determined to press on. Ammon records, 'Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success (emphasis added).'"

I testify to you that what the Lord promised Ammon is true. I know for certain that the Lord gives us success in our times of trial. We must have faith in Him, and trust that He does in fact know exactly what He is doing. Adversity gives us opportunity to grow, if we take it. Difficulties in life can strengthen our resolve to do our best, to trust in the Lord and His plan; and as we do trust Him and "bear with patience [our] afflictions", we will come out conquers; we will be greatly blessed; we will be buoyed up by the very hand of God.

I say these things in the sacred name of Jesus the Christ. Amen.

{ Since It's } Sunday


Alright, friends - link up your Sunday thoughts! :)

Rules are as follows:

1. Follow this week's hosts.
2. Add your link to a post dealing with a spiritual topic (i.e., something you're reading in the scriptures, something that stood out to you at church, etc.) Those of all faiths are welcome to add their links!
3. Browse some inspirational and fabulous links!

Tweet #sinceitssunday if you link up!

Have a blessed Sunday, and God be with you.

2 comments :

  1. That's really interesting that they've changed the age people can serve missions. If you are 19, and now able to go, do you think you will? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I am so thrilled for my brother, and so many of my friends. They will be amazing in the Field!

      As for me, I'm not going:)

      Delete

My posts are intended to uplift others. Please respect the spirit of this blog and leave comments that will only encourage feelings of kindness. Thank you!