13.10.12

Dating: It is Complicated, It is Serious

I have been thinking a lot about dating/relationships of late. It has been just over nine months since I had my first kiss { shiver }, and nearly seven since I have been out of that regretful relationship. I was naïve, I was tricked, I was foolish, I was taken advantage of, I was plain dumb. I have learned so much in these past seven months. I have realized my mistakes and have vowed to never make them again. I have come to understand the importance of staying entirely uncommitted, until I can be completely committed.

What is the purpose of dating?

Here is what I believe:
dating is for you to find out what you are like with the opposite gender; for you to discover what qualities you like, and don't like, in a potential companion; for you to see if you are interested in and capable of being in a long-term relationship, and for you to find your husband or wife.

That's it.

Tragically, society has twisted that simple objective. Children now "date", and commit to be a boyfriend or girlfriend, with no ultimate goal in mind . . . other than to be something in the world - a couple, an item. Young men and women get themselves into deep sin by yielding to desires meant to be fulfilled between a husband and wife.

Girls and boys seem to believe that dating is easy, thrilling, and they handle relationships with no respect or understanding. They do not comprehend the fact that serious dating - holding hands, cuddling, kissing, intimate conversation - should be considered only if marriage is their present intention.

Don't get me wrong. Dating is quite thrilling . . . 
but it is not easy. 
It takes effort, patience, and much strength and wisdom to submit yourself to an exclusive relationship, or even any potential relationship, that will lead directly to marriage. 

[I have only mild personal experience, but I have witnessed what it is truly like, committing to marry a person, and everything that such a commitment entails.]

To be perfectly frank, because it needs to be said . . .
there is no point to promising yourself to another,
unless marriage can be considered in the very near future.

I feel like an absolute hypocrite saying that, but I know it to be true. 
I also know, for a fact, that most relationships before a person is of age only 
destroy hearts, shatter dreams, and induce erroneous despair.

Save yourself, young men and women. Prepare for your beloved companion, but do not be so much in a hurry that you deprive yourself of the most glorious of gifts. Shield your hearts. It can be done. Spare yourself, and others, the unnecessary grief and confusion that is so often the result of juvenile ignorance.
I wish that I could shout it. I wish that I could look young men and women straight in the eyes and make them understand what I did not.

I am merely a young adult, but I have come to grasp so much. I wasted years pining for a boyfriend, a lover, that coveted label of "taken". It was all in vain. I gained nothing from such a focus of my energies and thoughts.
Gratefully, the Lord did allow me to grow and mature.
After a considerable amount of foolish mistakes.
I had to repent, to ask forgiveness of my parents and siblings, of the young men involved, and of my Dear Heavenly Father. 
Let me tell you, that it HURT.

How do I emphasize my point more strongly . . . ?

Children, youth . . . engaging in activities that you much too young for, preventing yourselves from having a true, holy, complete relationship with your future husband, tying yourself to a young man or woman who may not truly love you, teetering down the path of sin . . .
IS NOT WORTH IT.

There. I said it.

Let me get a few things straight: I am not perfect by any means. I have not committed any sort of sexual sin, but I struggle, even still. I may not have nearly as much experience in this matter as others, I may even be a crazy, raving extremist, but I do know what I am talking about.

I don't know who will read this, or if anyone will take what I am saying and internalize it as honest fact,
but I love the youth too much to stay silent. 

I pray that someone will be spared the ignorance and embarrassment that I experienced.

Live your lives with honor, not disgrace.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

{ c u r r e n t l y }
♥ ♥ ♥
c o n t e m p l a t i n g - When the time comes, who will I have do my engagements and bridals . . . ?
m u s i n g - I am quite fond of words.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

7 comments :

  1. This is an important stand to take, and exactly the reason why I went with courting--basically, dating, and getting into a romantic relationship only with the intention and hope that it would end in marriage--as opposed to the more popular 'dating for fun.' If you want to have fun, have friends, either guys or girls. If you want to get married, that's only point at which romantic relationships should be entered into. It definitely saves a lot of regret. I'm so happy that I married my first boyfriend! Even if I didn't have a boyfriend till I was 18--at that point, I was ready to get married.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Rachel. Check your email. :)

      Delete
  2. I sort of think the opposite is true also- being too serious about dating at a young age. Young women are too easily wooed into thinking someone actually you're-the-best-thing-in-my-life-I-want-to-marry-you loves them when that someone really doesn't (even if they think they do). I was young and stupid once, and the first guy who came along with flattering words completely stole my naive little heart, and eventually broke it. And I know of so many girls who fall into this same hole. I would say, date for fun as a way to get to know yourself and others, but don't be silly enough think you're going to find your husband when you're 15. It very rarely works out that way, so don't fall too hard. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,

      That is so true. I probably should have clarified that more, because it is something that I definitely believe. I went for the first two guys who tried to woo me, and barely had a heart by the time I realized how truly foolish I had been.

      The dating for fun thing is sticky too, though. I am trying to figure that one out. I am at the point where, if I am going to go on more than a few dates with the same guy, I want him to, first, be someone who I can even see myself marrying, and to be interested in a serious relationship from the near-beginning. I personal don't like the idea of going through a string of guys before I find my man. . . .

      Thank you for your input. I very much appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean. Looking back, in high school the guys I dated were really just my best friends, and because we were always together, that made it a "relationship." But (poor things) I never kissed anyone till my husband. :) Didn't want to be physical with anyone who I knew I didn't really love. Hmmmm you're giving me ideas for a blog post.. but I don't know if I'll write it or not. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is admirable! I wish I was still VL. . . .

      Do write a post! When it comes to you - don't force it. But I would love to see it! :)

      Delete

My posts are intended to uplift others. Please respect the spirit of this blog and leave comments that will only encourage feelings of kindness. Thank you!