11.5.12

Birth: It's Natural





Allow me to grace you with my personal thoughts on a very serious matter. (In other words, enjoy my little rant/plea) :)

To summarize the above video, a mother, with three young children, goes into labor in her home. Her labor is quick, and her dear little son decides that he doesn't want to wait, and begins his quite rapid descent. The mother, essentially, panics, and her children call 911. The child is born moments after the phone call begins, and the operator tells the oldest child what to do about the umbilical cord. 

[First of all, before I get very far into this post, I want to point out that I am in no way judging this mother, children, operator, or any of the other parties involved in this experience. I commend them for their bravery and work. I just wish that this didn't have to be deemed as news worthy, as surprising and abnormal.]

[I recognize that the world has digressed since Mother Eve and Father Adam first began to bear children, and that there really isn't anything that any of us can do about the past. In this post, I would simply like to point out that there is room for change, for the good! We can break traditions and begin our own sort of lives, ever reaching for the Glory of Exaltation. We do not have to follow the paths of past generations. Progression is all part of The Plan of Salvation, and what better time to rid ourselves of past digression and begin the process of progression than now?]

Now, to continue: part of me feels thrilled that the children got to experience such an incredible moment as their mother bore her child in their home; yet, as I watched the exchange with the 911 operator and the kids, I felt rather sad. [And now the midwife/natural birth advocate/mother in me comes out to shine.] My personal belief is that children should know the birth process - know what to do to help the mother as she labors, and know how to clamp the umbilical cord and care for the baby post-delivery. This, of course, is merely an idealistic dream, but I wish that the concepts of conception, pregnancy, birth, babies  in general were less . . . surprising, if you will. Those concepts should be natural! Why are they becoming such unnatural, even unexpected events? Women have been bearing children since the beginning of time! I'm fairly certain that the children of our First Parents, of Jacob, Lehi, Nephi, Jared and his brother (to name a few examples) knew and understood life. They understood and respected their mothers, as brothers and sisters joined their families. They were not naive as to how a child is conceived and born - being born and witnessing birth in the wilderness, how could they be? [This is just my personal view, but I'm nearly positive that what I am saying is and was true.] If children, youth, adults in this time were informed and educated about the process of life, and appreciated this glorious process, the issues of immorality that are so extreme and present in our society today would plummet. That's really a no-brainer, but think about it; many, many children are not taught properly about how they came to exist on this earth - how they were created by two bodies that love them, how they came into this life through leaving their mother's womb - where they were cared for, and protected, and nourished for nine months. Those uneducated children grow up, are taught by other sources, namely schools (who, in my honest opinion, have no business teaching children about reproduction - but if the parents aren't going to teach them, then who will?!), peers, and the media, and they foolishly learn to disrespect intimacy, women/men, and their own bodies. They become older and begin to use themselves and others in inappropriate and wicked ways. Illegitimate children are born, parents are not there to teach those children, and the cycle continues for generations. Imagine what our world would be like if mothers and fathers took the time to be educated themselves, and then learned to educate their children. Imagine how much wickedness would cease, how many children would be born who would grow up to actually contribute great things to their world - rather than become menaces to society. Of course, life would not be perfect. We are yet human, and Satan still reigns. Oh, but how much power each of us could have over him! With happy and legitimate families everywhere, Satan's influence would lessen. The lives of so many others would have meaning! (And frankly, discussing life would not be so terribly awkward.)

Back to educating children about birth: is it not natural for a young son to understand labor and birth? Natural for a young daughter to know how to clamp, then cut, the cord, and to properly take care of the afterbirth? Natural for children to be at the actual births of their siblings? Sadly, in this world, it is not. But the truth is, teaching children from an early age that the stork delivered them to their parents' doorstep; or sending the kids off while mother and father rush to the hospital and send for the children once baby is cleaned up, leaving the children to imagine that the baby just somehow appeared; or making pregnancy and birth come across as "gross", "weird", and "scary" . . . and teaching girls about birth control . . . that is what is not natural. Children should know, understand, and appreciate the truths of these matters. What are we going to do when our children refuse to multiply and replenish because they honestly believe that having a baby is just sick, that it's bad for their bodies, and that there are much better things that they can do with their lives? Where will we be then?

As you can see, this is a very dear and serious subject to me. I look around and see people my age who refuse to talk about birth, who don't understand what contractions are, or what a placenta is. I find at times that I am looked upon as "weird" or "not normal" because I actually like (more like love) birth, and babies, and pregnancy, and birth books, and swelling bellies, and placentas, and because I am thrilled to one day become a mother, and want as many sweet babies as the Lord will give me! I wonder, why is it not normal for a young woman to love and appreciate life? Shouldn't that be the most normal affection and desire one could find in a girl? After all, mothering is what us women will one day be doing through the eternities, and this earth life is supposed to be a preparation for this time. 

Before I end, let me just point out again that everything said in this post is merely what I personally believe. My thoughts and feelings are based solely upon that which I have come to find, accept, and believe for myself - through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. If anything I have said offends anyone, I sincerely apologize. This is, however, my blog, and I do have the right to say what I please. :) I would be interested to hear what you readers have to say. I will not reply to comments on this post unless specifically asked to - and even then, I would ask that you email me at shaylee.motheratheart@gmail.com, if you would like to hear more of my thoughts. :) I hope you enjoy this side of me, rather than despise it. ;)
 
The glorious, honest, unabashed truth that I declare is this: conception, pregnancy, and birth is life, and life is perfectly natural. There is no need to fear.

Dear friends - women, men, world; let us return to mothers, to babies, to holy conception and birth. It is all part of the pathway to godhood; and that, after all, is our highest aim in this life, isn't it?

Photobucket

3 comments :

  1. beautiful post :) My third child was an unplanned unassisted waterbirth. It was an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaylee, my dear, you have brought up the one (and probably only) subject we completely agree upon.

    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm. I'm a first-timer to your blog, and let's just say this is quiet a post to start out on :) I am shocked that you don't have children, but can feel so strongly about something that you haven't done yet. Where does your love of birth come from? What is your frame of reference? Your "mission statement" left me wondering who you really are and where you are coming from. Have you been to a birth?

    I've had a c-section followed by 2 natural births which I LOVED. They were life changing events and I'm excited to have the chance to birth again.

    I was able to attend a birth of my cousin and her 7 year old daughter wanted to come too and she did. They gave all of their children the option of going to the hospital with them and their oldest son and daughter decided they didn't want to and the third daughter decided she did want to go. I think that is what you are missing, giving the children the chance to choose. Their kids don't think natural birth is weird, it's all they know. But they also didn't force their kids to be apart of it. The boy in the video didn't get to choose.

    I think it's important to inform children on what is really going on, to be real, and respectful, and excited about these natural things. At the same time though you can't just make it a family party if someone doesn't want to attend. I don't know many young boys who would want to cut an umbilical cord that is still hanging out of their momma. Even though it's natural, it's still very animalistic. I think a lot of maturity needs to be involved for someone to be playing a role in a birth. It's one thing to be in the room, but it's a whole new ballgame when you are talking about participating in a live birth.

    I'll be excited to see your thoughts after you have your own experiences to judge from. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

My posts are intended to uplift others. Please respect the spirit of this blog and leave comments that will only encourage feelings of kindness. Thank you!