2.12.10

Thanksgiving, a Bit Late

I never blogged about my Thanksgiving, shame on me. But, I was going through the pictures on my camera last night and came across some of our Thanksgiving dinner. I thought that even though it's a week past, I should still say something about it.

My family is very non-traditional when it comes to holidays - something that I happen to be very grateful for. We do celebrate and are very keen on remembering the "true" meanings of Christmas and Thanksgiving, but we just don't do all the food, the Black Friday shopping, the decorations, the hype and glamor. We are very simple, and that's the way we like it. ;)

Since we weren't able to go up to my grandparents' place this year for Thanksgiving, we stayed home and cooked our own fabulous, tasty meal and took our time eating it, while only taking an hour to prepare it. It was fantastic! My dad dutch-ovened a nice juicy roast with onions, potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms; I made whole-wheat rolls, and my mother made a delectable green salad with poppyseed dressing (* drool *); and, of course, the rest of the children helped with everything else. ;) However, before we even cooked our dinner (or, while it was cooking) we had pumpkin and pecan pie with peppermint ice cream. I'm not sure why we had that before our meal, but we did. Some of us weren't as hungry as we should have been, thanks to all that sugar.

Here are some pictures of our meal. I had better ones of the whole meal in one shot, but my dear, obedient brothers and sisters just wouldn't stay out of the pictures. . . .



(See those plates and glasses? Yep, those are mine. Aren't they lovely?)



Why does the butter have finger marks in it? O_o
Oh, and that blue thing in the background is our dining room curtain. We still don't have real curtains for that room.

So, in the morning, we cleaned up the house, visited with Oma and Opa, and chilled in the living room. In the afternoon we ate ice cream and prepared our Thanksgiving feast. In the late afternoon we ate our meal - with milk being the main beverage - cleaned it up, and then went out to look at the van we had found the day before. In the evening we test-drove the van, straightened up the house, put the little ones to bed, and finished off the day with a rather lame game of Settlers of Catan.

And that was our Thanksgiving. I think it was the best Thanksgiving I've ever had.
(Of course, every Thanksgiving is the best I've ever had).

2 comments :

My posts are intended to uplift others. Please respect the spirit of this blog and leave comments that will only encourage feelings of kindness. Thank you!